Followers

Labels

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I'm Getting There! (Please Read)

I can't thank all of you enough for hanging in there with me while I do all these destash videos.  Since I haven't been able to comment back to everyone I wanted to share a bit on here with you.

First, you know I read all the comments, they mean a lot to me. But I want to address the destash a bit. I think I've convinced you all I'm staying.  In fact I bought some more goodies this morning, and last night actually to help me with my new journey.

Meanwhile I'm selling a collection of beautiful items that I was very proud to own. I know I'm doing the right thing, I wasn't using 90% of what was in my craft room and I was a master at finding a place for everything I owned. My 10 x 10 craft room had more things in it than a good size store. Even though I wasn't using everything, there was something about walking in there and knowing I had all these beautiful laces, flowers, blings, embellishments (you name it, I had it) to choose from.  It all made me feel good.

So selling all of the items I've been selling is bittersweet and personal.  I do know I need to do it, and of course I've been paid fairly for them.  But there is also a part of me that feels like I'm selling a bit of my identity when I pack up my beautiful items and mail them away.

As I look at my craft room right now, it's mess. There is stuff everywhere as I work through this process. That's hard to look at as well.  I do know there is an end to this, and I can see it coming much better then I could 4-5 days ago. I've ordered some storage items that will work better for the new items I will be using, so that's exciting.  But my new journey requires a lot less product so I should have a space that feels more open and I think that will be good for me.

I can see my future coming, and I appreciate all of you who are helping me get there, whether it be those of your who have bought from me, stuck by me while I'm doing this, or simply gave me a little space while I've been busier then I ever could have imagined.  I've needed all these things.

I'm happy my beautiful items are going to other crafters and will be appreciated and used to make beautiful projects. I'm coming to a peaceful place with this big change over, it really hasn't been easy emotionally.  I can see I've made the right decision though and you all have played a big part in me making it through this past week.  I feel I'm going to be very happy and at peace with making ATCs and Cards.  I think the peacefulness will allow for more creativity, which will be just the direction I want to go.

So, while I don't comment back anymore, I'm glad I have this blog to connect with you all.  I think it's important for you all to know how important the roles you've played in this have been for me and to know how much I appreciate you all. This certainly has not just been about doing a destash video, getting paid, and shipping out product (that's what a store does). 

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Jane..vv08

17 comments :

  1. Dear Jane you are so welcome to the support I have to give. Maybe it's just a little bit of encouragement but combined with 5,000 more little bits it'll amount to something for you.
    I think you're a brave woman to make all of these recent changes. You have what it takes to come out on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Jane. I know this transition you are making has to be difficult (parting with all those beautiful goodies) and it's certainly keeping you busy. But it sounds like the end result will be a positive one for you. Making cards and ATC's are quick and easy projects to do and this will allow more time for you to spend with your family and to take time for yourself. Both of which are equally important. So know that I'm here for you girlfriend. I will be there with you as you start your "new journey". Maybe, once you get your room back in order, you can do a new craftroom tour video? I would love to see all the new storage items you've purchased. Just a thought. Hang in there as you continue with your destash. Know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, (and it's not the headlights of a train.) Lol. Sending big hugs your way sweetie. Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladies, I will happily do a craft room tour when this is all done! Although one of my new storage pieces is a biggy and will take 4-6 weeks to make. So, it may or may not be here yet. Glad I already ordered it! xxoo

      Delete
  3. Jane. We purchase all our beautiful things because we connect with them on an emotional level
    Parting with them must hurt. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will miss your "coffee with Jane" videos, but know that what you are doing is the right thing for you. I'll be looking forward to your new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Marianne, we do buy our beautiful items, and yes, you had lots of beautiful things Jane, and we connect with them on an emotional level so sending them out has to be very hard for you. I knew as I watched and listened to your voice that it was hard parting with your "stuff". And I can say that I have never seen such beautiful laces and flowers and such!! My gosh I wanted to buy it all myself because it was so gorgeous, but I knew I wouldn't use a third of it. So I refrained. lol Plus like you I want to (for me) declutter my crafty space because I am feeling over whelmed anymore and that makes creating hard. For me I am hanging onto old, old stuff from when I first started scrapbooking. Like stickers and such. So I plan on donating them to a church along with some papers and whatever else I find that I don't use or need. You are doing the right thing and you will feel so much better when it is all said and done. You are doing good lady, but I know it is hard!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be a good feeling in the long run, Jane. Good for you for working towards having a craft area that will work better for you. (But wow, you sure picked a busy time to do it...with your Basics of Series going on, too! lol) I have to admit, I stopped watching your destash videos when you changed to US shipping only. There were a couple I glanced at that I wanted to watch & beg you to let me pay high shipping to send to me. lol But I put myself on a spending freeze, so I resisted. I look forward to seeing the direction you're going, and where the future takes you. Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can understand what you mean! selling things you love but don't use must not be easy. But when everything isgone and you will have a nice space with things you will use, it will craft better i think. I have such a small place to craft i am very organised and making sure it stays organised. If i don't do that i can't craft, because i don't have a space to craft LOL!
    I will do a craft 'room'tour so you can laugh!!
    you are almost there and then you can go on carfting!!!! big hug!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine how hard it must've been. i remember how excited you were when you got some of the stash that you are selling. I don't know if I would've been able to do it, but well done. No point in keeping things you know you are not going to use no matter how pretty. Looking forward to the new phase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand where you are coming from. After watching your destash, and now understanding why you had done this. For me, I too started out with making my photo cards and somehow got caught up in all the things that crafters make. There are things I have purchased and that are just sitting there not being used. So for me now it will be a time to think what I will do. Cards are so much easier for me to do and the rest becomes a lot of extra stuff. So I commend you on moving forward! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janie loved your ATC....it did look so cool. And your commentary was spot on. Now that I know you like tiny houses, I understand why you relate to tiny art so much. Simple is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie... yep,, you're right! I need to talk to you about the lace and flowers - there's more then I thought, like all total $200-$300 worth left.... we need to chat about a package deal.

      Delete
    2. Okay...I definitely don't need that much lace and flowers. And where would I hide right? It's not the price it's that I don't want that much of that. Want to go instant message on Facebook or wait til tomorrow?

      Delete
  11. I'm totally bummed I wasn't able to buy any of ur stash :( U had some great stuff :D Love ur blog & videos!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane. I am an expat and a member of the spouse/partner association that my husband's company sponsors and over the years I have come across several other members who had surrounded themselves with things they loved to help them over the stress of being away from home. Or not having their husband around because of work...whatever their personal situation was. They started to try to fill the "hole" in their lives with stuff. Beautiful stuff like handbags, shoes, carpets, art work and yes...art supplies. The problem with all the beautiful stuff is that each time they purchased something it was only a temporary fix and eventually they came to a "destash" moment in their lives. The lucky ones because of a choice, the unlucky ones because they had to move back "home country" and could not afford to move all of their comfort items. If I was in the same location, I always offered to help out with the physical work. If not, myself and other friends would offer as much emotional support as possible by phone, email, etc. But now I have your story and craft room tour video to share if (actually when) this comes up again. So many of us are "collectors" to some extent - I have a HUGE collection of scrapbooking magazines that I have been moving from location-to-location - but it is not easy make the decision to clear away the stuff and take purposeful control of our lives. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. I am sure that your example will be helping people for a long time to come. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your message, and I'm glad to hear this blog post will have more value then I hoped it would have. It's very hard for people to admit their life is not perfect and activities such as "buying" all these things are covering up the imperfections. I've known for a while that I was not on the right track. The product became a monster in my room and became overwhelming when I was on so many DT's and was collecting beautiful items at rocket speed. I realized it was not about crafting anymore, but about possessing the items. I knew I had more beautiful items then most and it made me feel special. I then hit a point where I couldn't not go on another day and quit everything. I knew I had to rediscover myself and figure things out inn a different way, and so I spent the summer testing out ATCs and Card making. No one understood when I said I was taking the summer off, even though I was still doing videos, I truly was taking the summer off because I had quit all of the "buying and getting loads of free product" activities. I hit a crossroads and fortunately I found a true love with the ATCs and Cards, so the destash began. It's been the best thing I did for myself all summer. I'm no longer at the top of the mountain where I had been. I had reached the top of the crafty world with being on the big DTs I was on and owning so much. Now I own 1/4 of what I had, and I'm on one DT that is just getting traction and I'm happier then I've been in a very long time.

      Delete