Followers

Labels

Friday, July 11, 2014

Tutorial: Stenciled and Layered Double Winged Butterfly ATC

 Hi Everyone!
I had some requests to do a tutorial on my Layered Butterfly ATC.  I was able to get it done today.  I did a video tutorial and I also wanted to put it here on my blog. I really love this technique.  Here's the end result so you know where we're headed:


 
 
The cool thing with this tutorial is, once you learn the technique, you can let your imagination go and dig out dies you may not have used in a while, or use your favorite dies and use this technique. The options are endless. You can make dress forms, Christmas trees, anything that you want, then embellish to your heart's content.

So, let's get started:


The first step is making a stencil with your favorite die you want to use. As you can see in the picture, there is my butterfly die next to my pallet knife.  I ran it through my Vagabond with a piece of acetate and made a stencil, which you can see sitting on top of the embossing paste.  To make it easier, I sprayed a little "Easy Tack" on the back of the stencil and pressed it onto my ATC base.  Then I used my Wendy Vechi Embossing Paste in Black and gently spread it all over my ATC, covering the stencil well and creating a nice amount of texture with my knife blade.  Once I had my ATC covered I gently pulled the stencil off, leaving behind the impression from the stencil.  I made sure to promptly wash my pallet knife and stencil. I really like the stencil and want to have it for future uses.  I then let the embossing paste dry completely.


While the embossing paste was drying I did a little prep.  I used Mod Podge to adhere 80# white cardstock to some music note paper.  I also put a coat of Mod Podge on top of the music note paper so it would have a nice coating and add a little thickness.  I set this aside to dry.


I continued my prep by die cutting a butterfly with a heavy weight red cardstock (from Papertrey Ink). I also cut a small tag for a "thank you" sentiment I wanted to add.  Then I used my Black India Ink to stamp my sentiment on my little tag.


Meanwhile my white cardstock and music note paper dried so I die cut them with the same butterfly die. It was now ready to adhere to the ATC.  I applied a thin amount of my Art Glitter glue all over the butterfly impression on the ATC and then carefully inlaid the music note butterfly.  Because I was using the same die everything fit together perfectly.  I also adhered my sentiment with the same glue.


The only remaining step was to adhere the red cardstock butterfly die cut.  I put a good amount of glue on just the body of the music note butterfly and it's antenna, then I attached the red die cut butterfly and bent it's wings up to give it a dimensional look. 


As one last step I embellished with three sequins.   I used silver to give it a fun little shimmer. I used two 8mm sequins and one 4mm sequin.  That's it, super easy. Think how much fun this technique would be with other dies you already own!  I hope some of you will give this technique a try!

Hugs,
Jane...vv08

3 comments :

  1. Great tutorial Jane! I love the black embossing paste, first time I've saw it used. I also love the butterfly and this technique. Thanks Jane! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brenda for all your nice comments you leave, I'm glad you enjoyed this technique! Hugs, Jane

      Delete
  2. wow, great tutorial!!! I love how it turns out!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete