Followers

Labels

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Back to Getting Personal....

So yesterday I was blow away again by Jeorgina and the amazing hand knitted, absolutely stunning, cowl scarf.  I didn't see that coming at all, she sure caught me by surprise, and what a lovely surprise.  If you haven't seen the video, it's on my channel.  She really did a fantastic job and the colors are outstanding!  LOL  it actually made me excited about cold weather!  And I can't finished this paragraph until I say "thank you" for all the sweet comments many of you left for me!

Yesterday morning Mike and I had planned to hang out together.  We had been planning it all week actually.  About 3 weeks ago we dropped Mikes' car off at Fast Lane Cars to have some major work done to it and we're beginning to miss it, plus I wanted to get some photos of it's progress along the way.  We're very anxious to go cruisin' in his '54 Ford again! We only got to do it a few times before we dropped it off there, so it was just enough to tease us.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a rainy day, but we made the most of it and kept with our plans.  Fast Lane isn't just a mechanic shop, in fact here's a link so you can see where we went..  www.fastlanecars.com.  They specialize in everything to do with muscle cars, vintage cars, rebuilds, sales, they have a gift shop, two show rooms, they have it all.  On top of that they have a network with all areas that help with rebuilds.  For example if you want to add air conditioning to an old car like Mike's, they have a connection with the company that makes a/c conversion kits for older cars.

We each had our reasons for wanting to take a ride out there (it's about 40 minutes from our house).  Mike wanted to browse around the show room floors, it's like going to a car show, but it's indoors and climate controlled, so it's really enjoyable, and boy do they have a lot to see!  My mission was completely different.  I wanted some photos of Mike's '54 in progress.  I thought I might be able to find a way to use them in a layout for him.  Together though, we really wanted to see how his car was coming along.

So we get out there, it's pouring down rain, and I look over, yep, there's his car, outside...uggg in the rain. I could see the motor had been pulled, it was sitting really high in the front, all the weight was gone, I also noticed the hood was no longer attached, but just sitting on the car.... I thought boy this isn't going to be easy... how am I going to get photos?  So we took a walk around and we found the mechanics, they sure are nice there.  The owners are super too. The wife loaned me her umbrella and two of the mechanics took the hood off for me, one person held the umbrella over my head, and I clicked off some shots.  I couldn't believe how helpful everyone was so I could get the pictures.  I was so thankful. 

Then the mechanics took us inside and started showing us all of the new parts that had arrived for Mike's car. Everything is there, new tires (he's getting some cool ones, they have big wide white walls like old cars, but they are actually radial tires like new ones), the new engine is there, transmission, radiator, headers, fuel injector system, air conditioning system, power steering,  all kinds of fun things that will make Mike's car loads of fun to drive.

It was really fun to see everything and know they are ready to begin putting it all back together.  We are really excited to be getting this done.  The old motor had a lot of really bad oil leaks and needed a rebuild.  Well for not much more money we figured we could just replace it.  But then we decided, you know what, let's just go all out and make it super nice and add the a/c, power steering, and all the creature comforts.  It already has a nice body, so that's the route we're going.

After we did all that we had planned to go out to lunch together. And after an hour or so on my feet my back was screaming at me. Not far down the road we found a Long Horn Steakhouse and decided that would work. So we had a real nice lunch together.  It was good for both of us just to spend some time hanging out together, having a relaxed time even if it was a gloomy day out. We did a lot of chatting about buying land, selling our house, and building a much smaller house.  We're definitely moving in that direction. 

We also discussed him growing his Etsy store and making that his full time job.  That's a very foreign concept to him since he's been a tile and marble man all his life, but the idea of not working so physically hard as he gets older is appealing to him and he has gotten a taste of how the online store thing works since he does manage his store at the level it's at. He just can't imagine it being his full time job. I told him anything is possible if you're positive about it, believe in it, and work in that direction.  It's called "a life without fear".  :)

Here's some shots from yesterday!  I love sharing our lives with all of you, you truly are like my extended family.

This area will be all clean and shiny when we pick the car back up

It was one wet day!

The new motor

The new tires, all wrapped up in plastic still

20 comments :

  1. Can't wait to see it all finished. Maybe a video??

    Glad you two had a good day. Rain can't damper time spent together.

    ~Tammy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! And yes! definitely a video, it will be very exciting to get this baby back! xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, this will be really styling when it is completed. Can't wait to see it then. Video for sure. Would love to see some rain in AZ LOL! Glad you had a nice day out with your hubby! Happy for you both. Did Tupelo stay home and guard the house??
    TFS Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, did I read that right? Did you mean, "did Tupelo stay home and catch up on his zzzz's"..LOL No guard dog there...LOL We always tell him when we leave "Tupelo, if anyone breaks in while we are gone, keep them company until we come home".LOL

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a major work in progress huh?! I bet it will be beautiful when complete! :( that sucks you have to deal with pain all the time like that. But I'm sure you enjoyed your day with your husband, it sounds like it :) like you said- you feel like your You Tube peeps are like extended family...I just want you to know I look toward everyday to hearing something bew/ a new video! I'm currently working my way down the very long list of your You Tube videos. Omg I even fall asleep to them when I go to bed lol! I hope to someday do a swap together & just send you something, just because :) you put a lot of effort into your work & I appreciate that more than you know xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Dawn, I appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  4. Ok...typos but you get the idea haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you and Mike are so looking forward to getting the car on the road!! So glad you had a relaxing, good weekend...you deserve those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting for you both to have all this work done on the car. You will have so much enjoyment driving it once it's all done. I also like the direction you are headed in for your future, building your small house and Mike running his etsy shop fulltime. You will have so much more time together and an even more relaxing lifestyle. I believe that will be good for you both. I truely hope it all works out the way you want. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jen, I really hope it all works out too, but you never know until you try! xx

      Delete
  7. Jane, great photos from the mechanics it will be fantastic when you get the car back and can drive it around. My husband Garry has been restoring old cars since we married 37yrs ago. He mainly loves '71 Ford XY sedans however he bought me a '52 Morris Minor Split Screen for my birthday last October, which he has slowly been restoring for me. He has just finished painting it a lovely shade of purple with a dash of sparkle in the clear overcoat and I've been going to antique sales to buy items for the back seat and boot e.g. picnic set, lace tablecloth for backseat, radio, picnic mat for when we take her for drives.
    Hope you didn't overdo it especially in the wet weather, I'm sure that big softie Tuplo would lick any intruder to death I know my two may bark but their tails would also be going nine to the dozen in excitment that someone had come to visit.
    :) Christene

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Wish there was a place like this close to us. Hubby has a '72 Dodge Dart waiting to be restored. After we bought the Dart we were looking at the original bill of sale from the Car Dealership and realized that his father was the original salesman. How weird is that? Makes the car that much more special since we lost his dad 10 years ago.
    Glad you and Mike had a great day together in spite of the rain! Those days are so special, aren't they? Thanks for sharing a part of your life with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessing you checked out the link.... it's a cool place. I know we have the car at the best place we possibly could, which makes me feel good. That's a cool story about the '72 Dart, that does make it very special. If you're ready to restore it, just a thought - if we didn't have access to Fast Lane, we would have gone to car shows and found cars that looked great, then ask the owners where they got their restoration done. It's a costly endeavor though. I know Mike didn't expect to be spending this much on this car, but it's not out of our budget, and I tell him all the time "life is short, you don't know your future, enjoy yourself while you can". It was a good day together, we're really at a crossroads in our life with making the decisions we're making about moving to some property and living a different lifestyle. So, when we are out like that we have a lot of things to talk over. I like to stay connected to all of you through my blog. While I share projects and so forth on it, my first purpose of it was to stay connected with personal shares about our life. I'm glad you enjoy hearing what's going on.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree about enjoying yourself while you can. On July 13, 2009 my husband came home from work to find me dead. YES DEAD! No breathing, no pulse. Thank god he knows how to do CPR because he had me back by the time the ambulance arrived. They lost me again a few times in the ambulance and 3 weeks later I was released from the ICU. That was the second time he saved my life. Easter 2008 he came to bed at 11pm and found me blue so he called the ambulance and they brought me to the ER. He was told that if he had waited till morning it would have been too late. He is truly my HERO! He doesn't need a cape or tights or superpowers because uses the best thing of all LOVE. We will eventually get around to being able to afford to restore it and I have it in my will that my life insurance is to go towards restoring it for him if it comes to that.
      We have changed our lives around so much since then and live a much simpler and happier life.
      My advice is to go with your heart when you decide what to do. The heart never lies. Good luck and looking forward to your future posts.

      Delete
    3. Wow Barbara, what a story! I tell Mike all the time "Life is Short", which is why I support getting the work done on the car he wants to do. I know he will enjoy it so much more. I'm sure glad your husband is good and brining you back to life.... literally! Kutos to him! I hope one day you get your restoration done. I think the changes we want to make will be good for us for sure! xx

      Delete
  9. how nice to read this blogpost!!! Nice that you shared the same hobby with the car!! I love seeing the photo's! It would be great for mike to be working from home with the webshop!! I hope it will be working one day!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool Jane!! You know my guy (husband) David is a car guy too! We actually own a local Service Center that has been in his family since 1960, so cars have been a huge part of our life. Thanks for taking us along with you on all your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pix!! I grew up going to a lot of Lowrider Super Shows. It was always so much fun! My dad has a '53 Chevy Bel Aire, that he's built himself from scratch. It's gorgeous!! I will send you a pic of fb :) Glad Mike's car will b all fixed up soon!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was good getting up to date with Mike's car Jane! You got some cool pics and I one for can't wait to see it all come together. I am behind in my video's of yours, but slowly I will catch up. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jane,
    I'm so glad you liked everything I sent you!
    It was such a sweet surprise to see a video of you opening your gifts...you really made my morning...;)

    ReplyDelete